Pilot will not stay lit in the winter for more than 15 minut

The Tank Pilot will not stay lit in the winter for more than 15 minut

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bostondad
    Participant

Greetings…I have a powermiser7 potable hot water heater (40,000btu)installed in 2003. I just moved into this house last past winter (Boston) and in the summer when the forced hot air for the home is OFF during the summer I have no problems with the hot water boiling but, In the winter when the forced hot air furnace is going, the powermiser’s pilot light keeps going out every day. I live in a campanelly ranch built in 1970 and the boiler room is a 5×6 and its closed in with only 2 vents measuring 3 diameter each. these vents are about 5 feet form the ground and about 4 inches apart. Is my problem poor venting? I have heard that you should have 2 vents one at the top and one at the bottom and both should be 1 sq inch per BTU? so 2 vents measuring 40″x 40″ each?…

p.s tHIS LIL ENCLOSED FURNACE ROOM SHARES THE POWERMISER POTABLE HOT WATER HEATER AND MY FORCED HOT HAIR FURNACE AND you can enter this room from the outside through a common fireproof aluminum door.

Out of curiosity I left the access door cracked about 3″ all night and the pilot for the powermiser hot water heater remained LIT all night! please give me some feedback as to what you think, I’m a bodyman by trade so cutting a whole and addint a grill on the door would be easy for me to do.

Thank you so much

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

I think you pretty well answered your own question, and you’re lucky the answer is so easy. If it was a question of the pilot being blown out by changes in air pressure in the house, you could be in for some complex sleuthing.

The rule if one square inch per thousand Btu, so you don’t need 40×40, but you clearly need more than you have. You have to take into account the Btu of the furnace, too.

Randy Schuyler

Bostondad
    Participant

Thanks randy..But what size vent do you think i would need

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Forty square inches plus. Find out what the Btu input of the furnace is and that’s the “plus.”

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page