pilot safety on a kenmore water heater

The Tank pilot safety on a kenmore water heater

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    1plumbwiz
    Participant

PG &E came out for an elderly friend’s water heater. I’ve plumbed professionally for many years, but have changed careers for 7 years or so due to health issues. No idea what a pilot safety is, but that’s what the guy said it was. He said the thermocouple was fine. I’ve only known to change the thermocouple or the gas control valve on a gas water heater. Help?

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: I suspect your friend’s heater is one of the newer FVIR (Flammable Vapor Ignition Resistant) heaters. The idea is they will not readily ignite gasoline (or similar) fuel spilled nearby. Heater manufacturers all use different strategies to do this.

Do I read that your friend’s heater is working correctly now and you’re trying to understand the heater controls for next time? If you could get model and serial numbers, there are others who check in here who are really good with specific advice. With FVIR, the world of water heating has changed quite a lot. Certainly heaters are safer, but they are also more delicate and prone to misbehaving 😛

Yours, Larry

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page