Pilot problem

The Tank Pilot problem

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    haireball
    Participant

I have a 91 AO Smith 40 Gal Gas water heater. I can get it to run normal. The problem is when the furnace kicks on, i loose pressure the flame will drop to 1″ tall and eventually it will shut off. This happens to just the pilot or the flame of the burner too. i took the burner off and cleaned some rust off, swept out the chamber, cleaned the pilot, took the gas lines off to check for debris in the line, but nothing i noticed. Can the pressure be turned up at the outside gas meter? I have been lighting it when i go to bed and at lunch for the past week. it keeps the water hot, but i don’t want to keep doing this forever

I tried to ask a plumber, but he was only interested in selling me new one. mine has a fan the sucks the exhaust out, and he told me a new one would cost $1000.00 because of the exhaust fan. If that is true, i would be better off buying and electric one… sorry for the venting just frustrated, any suggestions would be great

haireball

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: It sounds like the gas line supplying furnace and water heater is too small. So, the right fix is to upsize that line. Might be the easy fix is to derate the main burner of the furnace, so it draws less gas and doesn’t lower pressure in the gas line enough to shut down the water heater. A good heating tech will know how to safely do this 😉

Yours, Larry

haireball
    Participant

My problem ended up being the gas line had water in it. the gas company came out and blew air in the line and water came out…, it was somehow being restricted on their end.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello and thanks for reporting back. I wonder how water got into the gas line 😯

Thanks again.

Yours, Larry

concerned
    Participant

Another concern about the pilot or maybe the burnerwe have a gas water heater and we are concerned because it makes a huge racket – like when a gas burner turns on, but loud popping and crackling. At times it is a quick pop and other times it is a prolonged sound maybe 5 seconds or more. It happens frequently throughout the day, not just when we run the water. We do hear what sounds like the burner turning on with a softer, quieter, more ‘normal’ sound too, so this loud sound doesn’t happen every time. It’s the kind of sound that makes us nervous that something is wrong – but – getting a professional to stand there and wait for it to make that sound could be very costly. I am hoping someone can help me identify what it might be or give me an idea of how to talk to a professional about it.

Squ1rrel
    Participant

Have you had it flushed? It could be sediment buildup causing the noise.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Yes. You definitely to go back to the home page, click on The Basics, and then read the entry on sediment and how to control it.

Randy Schuyler

concerned
    Participant

Thank you both – This is a dream – to get good information so quickly.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page