Pilot Light Not Staying Lit

The Tank Pilot Light Not Staying Lit

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    datahound
    Participant

I have a Reliance Sta-Kleen 1010 that (similar to a recent posting) is 13 years old. It has worked perfectly for the entire 13 years with no glitches. Three days ago we had no hot water, so, following all the instructions posted on the side of the water heater, I tried to relight the pilot light. I tried several times, turning off the gas between trials, and kept the pilot light button depressed for about 1 1/2 minutes, instead of the 1 minute (minimum) in the instructions. As soon as I release the button the pilot goes out.

What do I do now? I am not sure if I would need an entire Pilot light/main gas assembly or something less. My wife wants me to get a new Hot Water Heater tomorrow or the next day.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

On pre-FVIR heaters, which yours is, the very first thing to do is replace the thermocouple or have it replaced. And that’s a lot cheaper than a new heater. At the same time, though, you need to check the anode and probably replace that, too. Go to The Basics, from my homepage and read Anodes, Sediment and Know-How.

Randy Schuyler

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: One trick here is to turn the gas control to off first, then back to pilot. If that doesn’t work right away, try moving the control knob around in the pilot range (very little room to move). I’ve found on occasion the control is temperamental and this sort of fiddling can get it to behave. Do make sure the thermocouple is firmly screwed into the control, (not with muscle, just firm) 😉

Yours, Larry

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page