Pilot Light Goes Out after Full Cycle

The Tank Pilot Light Goes Out after Full Cycle

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    NancyGerice
    Participant

Hi –

Our Pilot Light ignites easily but goes out after heating the tank. (This has been intermittent and seems to stay lit for a few days, then won’t stay lit at all).
    This happened about a year ago and my husband replaced the thermocouple and it fixed the problem. Do you think the thermocouple could go out after a year?

The pilot flame does wrap around the thermocouple and the tip does get heated to a dark red (or bright red).

Our washing machine is next to the water heater. I thought it had shimmied too close to the water heater and would vibrate the pilot light off. I moved the washing machine and it stayed lit for a few days but started going out again even if the washing machine wasn’t running.

My husband also vacuumed around the base to get rid of any lint. It seemed to help for a few days.

We have a State Select Model #GS640Y0CTGTCO. It is approximately 6 years old.

Any ideas/input would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank you!

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: Until somebody who really knows what he’s talking about chimes in, here’s two cents. It’s either thermocouple or gas control. I’d start by replacing the thermocouple again, and with a name brand unit. If that doesn’t work, it’s time for a gas control valve. There have been some valve problems and yours might be one of the iffy ones, but again, that’s for better informed folks to answer 😉

Yours, Larry

NancyGerice
    Participant

Thank you!

Ej
    Participant

If your heater has a Unitrol thermostat on it then you will need to replace it. A faulty ECO with these valves do exactly as you say. Other symptoms would not being able to light the pilot right away after it went out. You would have to wait a while. Harder and harder each time to light the pilot. Your thermostat should have a six year warranty on it.

NancyGerice
    Participant

Thank you!!!

Ej
    Participant

Nancy I had some time to check out your model. You don’t have a UNITROL valve. There is a black screen at the very bottom of your heater. Remove this and run it under water to clean it and then replace. Please see this thread.

http://www.thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=3005&forum_id=3&highlight=feather+duster

NancyGerice
    Participant

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thanks for taking to the time to research our water heater more. We did try cleaning the filter before your post, but only with a vacuum cleaner. It did start working again, but we know it will clog up again soon, so the tips and link you gave will help us keep it as clean as it needs to be! Have a great day!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page