Not leaking now??

The Tank Not leaking now??

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

On Sat. here in this forum I left a message saying my water heater was leaking and I wasn’t sure what to do about it. Anyway, I have a guy coming out tomorrow morning, but now this morning there’s no leak. After 3 morning showers, no water leaking from the bottom of the heater like there was Sat. morning. Should I cancel my appt. ($65 to walk in the door), or does it still need to be looked at?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

The question is, where was the water coming from before? Did you just see a puddle on the floor near the water heater and ascribe it to the tank or did you get down low and poke around to determine it really came from the tank?

Drain valves can dribble sometimes and temperature/pressure relief valve drain lines can do that. Rain can even come down the vent. But if you find water between the outer shell and the tank and it’s not directly under the drain valve, or water inside the combustion chamber, those are bad signs. So is a rusty-looking combustion chamber. Another is if you can find a hot spot when you feel the outer shell. I mean a spot that’s hotter than the surrounding shell.

If you followed our advice and turned off the water pressure between showers, that would have bought you some time with a tank leak. But water heater leaks don’t go away. If there IS a leak, sooner or later you’ll need a new water heater.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page