not keeping water hot

The Tank not keeping water hot

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    cindy2
    Participant

the water heater is not keeping the water hot. I can flip the breaker off, then back on and the water heats up but does not keep the water hot. Would this be the heating elements or does it have a thermostat that might need replacing? I just noticed this because I turn the breaker off when I leave the house and then back on when I come home. the tank is about 10 yrs old. Also, is turning the breaker off a bad thing to do?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

It won’t hurt anything to flip the breaker off and on. As to the rest, if you know how to use an ohm meter, you could use the Tanklets link at the top of The Tank index, view Electric Water Heater Issues, and use the troubleshooting guide there to test the elements and thermostats.

If you don’t know any of that, then you really should get a plumber out to do the testing since electric water heaters are dangerous and you could easily kill yourself messing with one.

Randy Schuyler

cindy2
    Participant

Thank you. Guess I’ll be calling a plumber. Darn it. I don’t know anything about that meter.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: Electricity is elusive for some plumbers also. A good handyman will cost less and know how to use a meter. Just possibly a handy neighbor with a meter would check for free! There are instructions here in Tanklets, for how and what to check.

Yours, Larry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page