Not getting expected amount of hot water

The Tank Not getting expected amount of hot water

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Marlene
    Participant

We just bought this home a few months ago, and are not happy with the hot water situation.

The setup is 2-tanks side-by-side, with output going from each into a single water pipe. It seems like there should always be 120 gallons of hot water available, but the system won’t even fill a standard size bathtub, with no other hot water running.

Is this normal? Both tanks appear to be fairly new, and they run very quietly.

How do these 2-tank systems work? Is it better than having a single 120 gallon tank?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

That’s known as plumbed in parallel and if it gets out of balance, then one heater does all the work. We prefer “in series,” where one heater feeds the other, which feeds the house.

But tell us more. What size heaters are they and are they gas or electric?

Randy Schuyler

Marlene
    Participant

elenano wrote:

That’s known as plumbed in parallel and if it gets out of balance, then one heater does all the work. We prefer “in series,” where one heater feeds the other, which feeds the house.

But tell us more. What size heaters are they and are they gas or electric?

Randy Schuyler

they are 60 gal gas water heaters, Vista Therm Miser brand. The label says 1st hour rating 62 gallons.

I’ll try to describe the setup in more detail. out of each water heater at the top are two pipes. A pipe from each join together and has a shut-off valve on it after the junction. This feeds into the potable water extension tank and then into the water softener. The other 2 pipes join together and go up into the house (the setup is in the basement). All 4 pipes are warm to the touch above the water heater.

If you like, I could take a digital pic of the setup, if my description is not clear.

Is it difficult to change from a parallel to a serial?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

No, that’s pretty clear. It’s a typical parallel setup. Switching just means replumbing the setup so that cold feeds into heater A, then heater A’s hot outlet feeds heater B’s incoming cold line and heater B’s hot outlet feeds the house. There is a crude diagram in the Lingo section of definitions elsewhere on the site.

The fact that the pipes are warm above both tanks indicates they are both functioning. One of the things that crossed my mind was that one might not be operating, which would also seriously reduce their output.

Since you’re using a softener, you should probably also have whoever replumbs them check the sacrificial anodes.

Randy Schuyler

Marlene
    Participant

Thanks for your help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page