Newby trying to resolve water heater odor problem

The Tank Newby trying to resolve water heater odor problem

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    fredcrn
    Participant

Have read with interest the posts about replacing the anode. I checked and I have a small sized 40 gal rheem water heater. When I looked on top of the tank, there is no hex head visible. There are however, a number of plastic plugs. The tank was manufactured in ’99. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks

Fred

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

The caps on the edge will have insulation under them. The one about halfway in from the edge or near the center will have an anode under it.

Randy Schuyler

fredcrn
    Participant

Had a look under the caps and they all seem to have foam insulation under them. The inlet and outlet are both copper and brazed permanently. From the front of the heater, the inlet is right, outlet left and relief valve center. In front of them is the access for the electrical panel. There is a plastic plug on either side of this panel and one to the rear of it offset to the right a bit. A fourth plug is located at the far back of the heater near the edge. Which of these should be the anode? Took pics, but don’t see how to include them here.
    Fred

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

It won’t be near the edge, but one of the others. I would dig around with a pocketknife to see if there is a hex nut under one. I have yet to see a Rheem that doesn’t use a hex primary anode (although it could happen). There could be a combo rod in the hot port, but I doubt it.

You can also note the model number and go to Rheem’s web site and try to find a spec sheet for it. Some of them have a diagram showing anode location.

Randy Schuyler

fredcrn
    Participant

Thanks for the help. I found the hex head. My concern now is, the rescue site says I need at least 12″ clearance to install a segmented anode and I only have 11″ clearance. May have to make a hole in the ceiling. 🙁

Fred

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

How far up into the ceiling can you run an anode? The flex anode, by nature of it’s being linked together, probably won’t work that way. And the plumbing is soldered on, so no chance of draining and tilting. Trouble, trouble.:(

Randy Schuyler

fredcrn
    Participant

Yep! What else is new.:( Oh well, guess I’ll have to climb up and see what’s above the ceiling over the wh. If I have to, I’ll just punch a hole big enough for the anode to fit through…providing I have the clearance up there.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page