New water heater problem

The Tank New water heater problem

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rascull
    Participant

For the second time in a few days, I’ve had a new Whirlpool 40 gal. electric water heater installed. The hot water comes out great momentarily ( In a shower, about 30 seconds) and then turns cold. What could be the problem?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Go to the homepage, click on Troubleshooting, then Tanklets, then Cross Connections. It is highly unlikely this is the water heater’s fault, but you can also have someone stand beside it and feel the hot pipe. It will most likely be continuously hot. If it were the heater’s fault, it would be hot, then turn cold, but I’d be astonished if that happened. Do the test for cross connections and tell us what you find.

Randy Schuyler

rascull
    Participant

Thanks. I’ve checked the Cross Connections but haven’t found the same situation. I’ve measured the amount of hot water I get before it turns cold to be about 1 1/2 gal.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: Go back to the tank and have someone else run water. Feel the pipes before the water is turned on and continue to feel the lines as water runs. They should both start out roughly the same temperature and the cold side should go cold quickly as water runs. The hot side should go from warm to hot. Continue to feel the pipes. Are the correct sides heating/cooling? Does the hot side stay hot? If so, the heater is behaving and the problem is out in the plumbing. The cold side should be on the right and have the shutoff valve 😉 Is there a recirc line?

Do let us know what you find.

Yours, Larry

rascull
    Participant

Thank you so much. With your information I was able to go to the installer and track down the problem to a new faucet that had been installed. It was apparently missing a piece and was causing the water to just recirculate in the pipes. That’s been fixed and I now have hot water.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page