New thermocouple but pilot still going out

The Tank New thermocouple but pilot still going out

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bq1001
    Participant

Replaced thermocouple, tested at 18-20 MAmps. Worked for a few days then pilot refused to stay lit. Could the missing view window be causing the problem?
    Any help/thoughts appreciated.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

What brand of heater? What do you mean by “the missing view window?” Any idea how old the heater is?

Randy Schuyler

bq1001
    Participant

Hey Randy –
    GE GG50T06AVG00 2004
    I’m guessing when I replaced thermocouple i didn’t align it correctly. The window I referred to is for viewing the pilot light. I’m wondering if too much air or too little air is getting into the combustion chamber. Recently had a flood which may have fouled the air vents. pilot lights immediately, but doesn’t stay lit. I’ll test the thermocouple again, but I’m thinking of replacing the whole burner/door unit.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

If you had a flood that went as high as the air vents, you’ve got more problems than you think. If the control has been immersed, it’s no longer reliable and needs to be replaced. Insurance might cover that. Beyond that, the FVIR device could have been tripped. You’d need a GE tech to fix that, but they probably won’t want to touch it because of the immersion issue.

Randy Schuyler

bq1001
    Participant

Thanks Randy. Don’t think the flood water reached the control, but I think I’ll call a pro.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page