New tank same problem

The Tank New tank same problem

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    equishares
    Participant

I just moved into a small house and started to notice that towards the end of my shower the water gets cold. I showed it to a plumber and he told me to replace the 50 gallon hot water tank (gas). Well, after spending $700 the problem still exists and i now have rusty water too.

What is strange is that the water in the 2 showers have that issue, loss of heat and rusty but if you go to any of the sinks the hot water works fine and is not rusty.

Any suggestions?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

For the rust, I’d suspect the plumbing leading to the shower faucet.

For the lack of hot water, one question would be, how much do you expect? At best, the 50-gallon is going to have 36 gallons of hot water at any time. Do you have high-flow showerheads? How long are your showers? Are you simply running out the capacity of the tank or is there another problem? Do you have Moen-type, single-control faucet? That could lead to a cross-connection. There is a test for the latter in Tanklets.

Randy Schuyler

equishares
    Participant

Showers are normal 10-15 min. Faucet control is has two seperate handles (cold and hot).

As far as a cross connection, I did notice that both pipes on top of the hot water tank were very hot. I was thinking about installing a valve check and hopefully that would fix it. You mention under cross connection not to do that, why? That will fix it, no?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Larry answered the check valve question elsewhere, but the piping above the water heater will get hot because heat rises and the hot water will rise into the piping on either side until it takes a turn downward.

As to the capacity issue, it might be instructive to get a one- or two-gallon bucket and simply measure how much hot water you’re getting. Then you’ll know if your 50-gallon heater is producing that 36 gallons. If it is, then the issue is one of expectations. If it’s not, then it’s a plumbing issue.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page