new hot water heater installed but….

The Tank new hot water heater installed but….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cookiemom
    Participant

Put in a new electric hot water heater, have hot water to bathroom sink which is directly above the hot water heater and in the kitchen which is the furtherst away from the heater. The hot water to the tub has been off for about a month -Took me that long to budget for a new heater.. I had cold water prior to installing the new tank. The only thing I did different was move the hot water heater over two feet and hook up new piping to the heater. The cpvc going to the tub line is 1/2 inch and my main line is 3/4. Since thewater was off for so long, could I have a clog that my slowfilling well cannot push through? Help any ideas or tips to try to open the line. New at plumbing… cookiemom:(

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: Thoughtlets: Since you have hot water at fixtures, the heater is working. No need to worry about it. The plumbing MUST be the culprit. The tub didn’t have hot water before, but it isn’t clear to me if that is the same or if there is no flow at all now on the hot side. Also, can you tell us if it is a single lever/handle on the tub, or two knobs? Is it the newer style tub with all piping hidden in the wall, or are there valves (angle stops) low on the wall to shut off the tub hot and cold waters?

Plumbing really is much easier than creating good cookies 😎

Yours, Larry

bd
    Participant

I just went through that myself, only it was the kitchen sink instead of the tub. Look for a shut off valve in the hot water line, probably in the basement, that leads to the tub. My best guess is either the valve is shut off or defective and will not open.

cookiemom
    Participant

That sounds reasonable especially now that I started using the washer and it acts likeit cant get enought water and half way shows a water error code. I need a new

tub as mine has a rust spot..so I guess I budget in a tub and new faucets Thanks

cookiemom
    Participant

The tub’s hot water faucet quit working when the bottom finally fell out of the old heater. I still had cold water prior to the installation of the new heater. The tub is starting to wear (rust in spots)so I figure these fixtures are at least 20 years old. The faucets were not used for about 2 weeks prior to my putting in the new heater. I was thinking a clogged faucet but now both faucets hot and cold do not work. When I first turned on the hot water tub faucet all I heard was air,, now silence…same for the cold faucet now.. I also started using the washer which is next to the heater and I now get a water error code half way thru the cycle. I cant figure out why the sinks faucets work (both hot and cold) and the bigger stuff (tub and washer are having issues.) The only thing I did different was use flexible stainless “pipe” instead of cpvc from the water heater and move the heater over two feet so it wasn’t directly under the toilet. My new lines seem to be good and no leaks are seen. Befuddled!

cookiemom
    Participant

OOps missed the last sentence…there are shutoff valves behind the wall which are accessible from the bedroom closet. The pipes are metal and look old..I donot think they are copper, look more like galvanized, gray spotty color. I have noticed when I fill the tub from the bathroom sink’s hot water, there is gritty sediment in the tub. Sincewe have a well, It didnt phase me before as we have a slow filling shallow well.

I figure if I learn how to do plumbing like I could sell girl scout cookies then all will be fine! 🙂

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: Looking through everything, I’m suspecting fixtures and possibly some lines are being plugged up with sediment from the well. So, find a place out of the sun to put a sediment filter on the line coming from the well. That’s first. Next, disconnect tubing from one angle stop at a time and see if you can get decent flow from the valve through a tube or hose into a big bucket. Try to rinse out anything in the line, so it runs clear. Where a faucet still is slow or stopped, take out the guts of the faucet and then turn the water back on for a couple of seconds. This should blow out the grit/sediment. Also, clean aerators.

You see the progression? Start from the well, making sure you have decent flow and clean water and work your way down to the fixtures. I have some concern about the galvanized pipe needing work, but this will give you a permanent fix as long as you clean the filter periodically; allowing time to work on the perfect cookie 😎

Yours, Larry

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page