New home owner, new problems

The Tank New home owner, new problems

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sidusnare
    Participant

I am a new home owner of a condo built in 2000, and
    consequently a new water heater which was built in 2008
    owner. I have a 50 Gallon A.O Smith electric, and I have
    noticed rust + water at its base. I checked all the
    fittings, no water to be seen anywhere but its base. Its
    two years past its six year warranty. I am pretty sure what
    I am seeing is the beginning of a leak in the tank, and
    that the time has come to but a replacement. I am leaning
    towards Rheem from what I have read, they seem to be
    reliable and appear to use magnesium anodes.

Looking for comments and suggestions on the situation I’ve
    got and what to look for in a replacement if I do need it.
    I have a plumber scheduled to come out tomorrow (well,
    look at the time, later today), thought I would check here
    too.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

I’d say you’re right. Measure the height and width of the watr heater closet and then start checking the dimensions of possible replacements.

Some heaters got a lot more insulation when new DOE rules took effect in April and it’s not impossible you could find that new heaters don’t fit the space well. It may still be possible to find a pre-April heater somewhere.

Have the plumber raise the tank just a bit off the concrete with blocks.

Be sure and check the sacrificial anode of the new heater in about five years, and likely replace it, so you don’t have to deal with this again.

Randy Schuyler

sidusnare
    Participant

Thanks, its not quite evident from the photo, but its sitting on something like a large paver stone that has it up off the concrete.

This is in a condominium, so drain and flush is very hard, I was thinking about having a proper drain pan put between the paver stone and new unit when I get it. Its in the same closet as my washer and dryer, so I was thinking I might be able to flush it with a garden hose down the washer drain.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

That’s possible. Whether you need to even flush it depends on how hard your water is. Flushing is designed to control sediment buildup. Think about the sediment flush kit that I sell if you do have hard water. Draining doesn’t help that much.

Randy Schuyler

sidusnare
    Participant

I don’t think I have hard water, it’s Atlanta city water. It tastes awful and strongly of chlorine (for drinking water). But none of the hallmarks I associate with hard water (water spots in the shower, soap that won’t foam, neighbours that complain about everything not complaining about hard water).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page