new heater with white deposits on supply

The Tank new heater with white deposits on supply

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dazed and confused
    Participant

Hello, I have a 4 month old GE heater. I also have a water softner. The supply going into the heater is corrugated stainless and It has white crusty stuff on it and a few tiny rust spots. The shut off valve before the supply is brass. All the other stainless supplies just like it ie the hot water out and all the softner supplies are clean. The white crusty deposit tasted like salt. Any Ideas, fellas?

Attached files

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: It looks like the flex connector is weeping — a very slow leak, likely a crack. Unless water is dripping down on it from above, the connector is shot. Do check water pressure and check to see that relief valve drain line is CPVC rather than plain PVC 😉

Yours, Larry

dazed and confused
    Participant

So, somewhere along the supply there is a small crack? Must be near where the white stuff starts, and rolls downhill. Just wanted to make sure I have compatible materials and a reaction was not happening. Also how can you tell if it is cpvc ?

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: I can only imagine it’s a defective or abused flex connector. As for the drain from the relief valve, CPVC is tan in color while PVC is white. PVC cannot take much temperature while CPVC is made to.

Yours, Larry

dazed and confused
    Participant

Thanks for your help. I went in and looked carefully the following morning and could see the tiny leak in the connector. I replaced it with a copper one. Guess I do have plain pvc, though. your help probably saved me a worse leak than I had.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page