New Heater Gas Noise

The Tank New Heater Gas Noise

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Glowball
    Participant

I replaced a 14-year-old 40-gallon water heater with a new State 40-gallon, 40,000 BTU natural gas heater. The previous heater was always completely silent and did a good job but it just got old and started leaking. The new one does a good job, but the sound it makes when heating water is really loud — it’s the gas noise, and there isn’t a place in my whole condo where you can escape from the noise. You can even hear it through the wall.

The plumber says that’s just the way heaters are these days and there isn’t anything I can do other than soundproofing the closet it’s in (they tested it and there is enough ventilation). Is this true?

Are there heaters out there that are quiet like my old one? I’ve asked 6 people if their heaters also make noise, and everyone else has a quiet heater that isn’t brand new.

Thanks for the info!

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, That answer doesn’t quite fly. I’d call tech support and essentially make a warranty claim that the heater is defective and needs to be fixed or replaced. See what they do. 😕

Yours, Larry

Glowball
    Participant

So they’re supposed to be completely silent, even the new ones, and even when they’re heating? This one is a State GS640BCT. I’ve had two plumbers come out from the same company and heard the same thing from them, so this is going to be a battle…

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, Even electric heaters aren’t completely silent. But something making so much noise that you can’t escape it is not the norm. Perhaps your gas pressure is high. If there is a pressure adjustment for the main burner, like we have had on older heaters, that’s a very good way to dial it down.

Gotta say, I was just on a job where I was the EIGHTH plumber! The owner had been told the problem would cost between 9 and 25 thousand dollars to fix. I fixed it in 1- 1/4 hours with no parts cost. So, just because two plumbers have said this noise is normal, hold onto that big grain of salt and keep working towards the right outcome. 😎

Yours, Larry

Glowball
    Participant

Wow, Larry, where are you located? Both plumbers are from the same company, so I may need to contact another company. I’ve reached out to the manufacturer, so we’ll see how that goes. I was promised a “luxury” water heater and not a “builder’s” model.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, Even builders wouldn’t want to live with that noise! 😛 I’m in Central California. Let’s hope the manufacturer will step up and be useful. Might it help to take a video of the unit while it’s firing, to share here and with the maker? 😉

Yours, Larry

Glowball
    Participant

Oh, good idea on the video, I’ll do that!

Glowball
    Participant

It doesn’t sound that loud on video, and in the video I actually hear ticking that I didn’t notice earlier. I’m not worried about the ticking, because the gas sound is much louder. It’s a rumbling, hissing noise that I can hear everywhere in the house.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, As a sealed combustion unit, the only way to see into the combustion chamber when it’s firing is to remove the outer cover and peer in via a small window you’ll see after the outer cover is off. The flame should not be lifting off of the burner. Yours sounds like high gas pressure, but getting a visual would help confirm that. Ask your plumber if he’s got a way to test gas pressure. A manometer is the usual way. This is a newer control, so I don’t see any main gas pressure adjustment in it.

Yours, Larry

ps. That “ticking” is louder than I’d expect from normal thermal expansion. Time to have a good look into the combustion chamber! 😉

Glowball
    Participant

Thanks, Larry! The plumber is coming back out this weekend. One theory is that the tightly curved flex pipe is causing a loud noise (this theory is from State, the manufacturer). They’re also going to look at gas pressure and the burner door. I’ll add the combustion chamber to the checklist.

One good thing is that State has said that it shouldn’t be that noisy, so at least I’m not going crazy (yet).

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hi, The going crazy bit takes a while. After being in hot water for nearly forty years…. I’m definitely there :P:D

Yours, 😉

Glowball
    Participant

😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page