New GE SmartWater 50 Gal Electric Has Exterior Dents

The Tank New GE SmartWater 50 Gal Electric Has Exterior Dents

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    krankitup
    Participant

Yesterday (Christmas Eve), I went to Home Depo and purchased a new GE smartwater electric water heater. Feeling the need for a nice hot shower, I decided to install the unit today. When I removed it from the box it had two long indentations on the exterior which struck me to be dents. Also, there is a yellowish substance that appeared to be seeping from the seam of the bottom panel. Needless to say, I don’t want to have to drag this unit back to the store and it would be nice to get some hot water on Christmas. How much of a problem is it if there are narrow indentations on the exterior of the heater? Is the seeping yellow substance an issue?

Thanks in advance for you response and Happy Holidays!!!

Your problem sounds like the result of foam insulation shrinking during cool down in the manufacturing process. The seeping yellow substance is most likely where the foam insulation seeped out before rising. I’ll guess that it has now hardened and can be scraped of with a screwdriver. Both are cosmetic, and should not effect the operation of the tank. Enoy your hot shower.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page