new GE gas water heater- hole or dimple in top of burner normal?

The Tank new GE gas water heater- hole or dimple in top of burner normal?

• This topic has 7 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 11 years ago by Ej.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tigerflyer
    Participant

I just bought a new GE (Rheem) 40 gal nat gas water heater model # PG40S09AVJ00 with 40K Btu burner and installed it last weekend. It seems to work ok. The pilot lit and stayed lit the first try, and the burner and thermostat work normally. Being curious, I took a look into the sealed combustion chamber with a flashlight through the tiny window. I notice on the top of the burner, near the center but slightly to the rear and one side is a hole or dimple that looks about the size of a dime. When the burner lights, it looks like a short flame periodically anchors to the edges of this hole. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me regarding the flame, but there’s definitely a hole. Because I can’t get into the sealed chamber, I can’t investigate further. Can anyone familiar with the GE/Rheem burners tell me if a hole/dimple on the top near the center is normal? Better yet, does anyone have a photo of the burner top? Maybe there is a screw down in it to secure the burner? I’m hoping it’s normal, and there’s not a puncture in the top of the burner.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

I don’t know the answer to this one, but since you just bought the heater, I think you’re entirely within your rights to simply call GE and ask.

Don’t think they’ll dodge. If there really is a problem, they wouldn’t want the liability.

Randy Schuyler

Ej
    Participant

with the pg40 I have never seen a hole in the center and I have seen many….There is a smooth maybe dimple….I am wondering how you are seeing this with the flame curling upwards around the outside edge?

tigerflyer
    Participant

Thanks for the replies.

Ej, with the burner unlit, it’s easy to see this “hole” with a flashlight. I managed to get a photo, which I will attempt to attach. The hole is marked with the arrow. The debris on top of the burner is pieces of the outer layer of the flue wall. I noticed that the very thin metal outer layer had flaked off in places when I took it out of the box.

Attached files

tigerflyer
    Participant

Here’s a photo with the burner lit. I’m pretty sure I can make out the end of a shorter flame at the hole location (it’s more distinct to the naked eye than the photo), marked with an arrow.

If this hole is not normal, any guesses on what caused it? And is it worth calling GE to get a replacement burner given that the heater works fine otherwise?

Attached files

Ej
    Participant

That is the dimple I mentioned. I cant tell depth by your photo but you have a very nice burn all around. I wouldn’t worry but you can always pull the burner out and inspect it. The seal around the burner door is rubber and holds up well when removing the burner and reinstalling it. After taking the two screw out pry on one end a bit until it breaks loose. Most of the time the seal stays with the door.

tigerflyer
    Participant

Thanks again, Ej. I’m glad to hear that the dimple is supposed to be there. It just looked strange to me.

I may try opening up the chamber door at some point to vacuum out the debris, as there’s quite a bit on the flashback screen under the burner. When you disconnect the lines to the thermostat (pilot, main gas, and thermocouple) and free the door, does the whole burner assembly just come out with the door? Or do you somehow have to separate the lines from the burner to get the door off?

Ej
    Participant

Once you disconnect the lines… thermocouple, main burner line and pilot line from the thermostat then everything stays together as a assy. good luck…you’ll be fine. And use open end wrenches so you don’t damage any of the fittings and always restart by hand.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page