New AO ssmith water heater temperature fluctuation

The Tank New AO ssmith water heater temperature fluctuation

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Scooter426
    Participant

Last week I replaced a 25 year old Rheem 40 gallon unit with a 40 gallon AO Smith. I also replaced the expansion tank and set the pressure in the expansion tank to match my water pressure before I installed it. The issue is the temperature fluctuates up and down about 6 degress every 30 seconds or so in both showers in the house. The showers are also very sensitive to minor adjustments of the knob (large temperature change when you barely move the knob). No other water is being used in the house when this happens.The water temp at full hot is 120 degrees and stays steady until you start running out of hot water. Any ideas other than replacing the dated shower controls?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Just for fun, using the link at the left side of the Tank topics index, go to Tanklets, read the one titled Cross Connections, and do the test for that.

Randy Schuyler

Scooter426
    Participant

I will give it a try and let you know the outcome.

Scooter426
    Participant

It passed the cross connection test.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, Do you have a recirculation line on the water heater?
    Yours, Larry

Scooter426
    Participant

No recirculation line.

Scooter426
    Participant

The temp fluctuation is gone. Not sure why, but I will take it. My wife and Daughter both took showers with no temp fluctuations today. I did not believe it, so I just took one and everything is good. Thanks for the suggestions.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page