New AO Smith

The Tank New AO Smith

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    rayden
    Participant

Hello,

I’ve been looking for a new WH, and just about settled on AO Smith model GCRT-50. Having read through the advice on this site, I was looking for the shortest warranty model (6 years), with the intention of installing a bigger anode.
    AO Smith is advertising this WH with a “CoreGard” – steel-core anode. Can anyone clue me in – is this a good thing or not? What’s on the outside of the steel core, aluminum, magnesium, or ? Should I be happy with it, at least for the first few years, or should I replace it immediately?
    Any other suggestions specific to this model will be welcome.
    In case it matters, I have a well, followed by a greensand- and a salt-based softener. Resulting water is quite soft, no smells.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, “CoreGuard” tells us that the anode has a stainless core wire, but the anode can be either aluminum or magnesium. I think I’d just inspect the heater before buying it to make sure it has a magnesium rod. That way you can get some use from the existing anode. 😉

Yours, Larry

rayden
    Participant

Yeah, I gathered that much from the glossy. I was hoping someone here had first-hand knowledge of the beast.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, Different anodes are installed depending on where the heater is going. My experience is that even the folks selling them do not know what kind of anode is installed. In my area, (Central CA) they almost always ship aluminum, which I swap out for magnesium.

Yours, Larry

rayden
    Participant

How can confirm whether it is aluminum or magnesium? The “bump” on the hex head, or is there a better way? Considering that I don’t have other heaters/rod handy to compare with.

Assuming it is aluminum, is this the right replacement?
    http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/OrderPages/Standard-90-HexHead-Magnesium-Anode.html

Thanks

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

That will work. For an A.O. Smith, the hex nut will have a bump if it’s magnesium, or be dead flat if it’s aluminum.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page