Need to decide on a plan for a new water heater

The Tank Need to decide on a plan for a new water heater

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Squareback
    Participant

The information on this site is invaluable…Thank You!

I can confirm its truth by my experience over the years, some of it learned the hard way. Our current State water heater – 15 years old and on its 4th anode rod – has started leaking on the tank side of the hot water outlet fitting. (I am a bit timid to take it apart to see if the coupling can be replaced. I think the tank threads are corroded actually, not the coupling.)

So, I have been doing a lot of research as to what brand/model to purchase. Initially, I considered the Rheem Marathon, but was hesitate due to the initial cost. Also, realized their parts are proprietary, so eventual repairs would be more costly.

Also considered the HTP/Westinghouse but, to my dismay, was told by the company the warranty is void if installed by the homeowner.

Now, following the basic advice here, I’m considering a 6-year AO Smith ENS-40, which does not seem to have that same warranty exclusion. It is advertised as having a “enhanced-flow brass drain valve”, so the flushing routine seems to be covered. It also meets the 2015 energy guidelines.

My question – I am considering installing a powered anode right away. I have been checking and replacing the anode as needed. By the way, I have been using an aluminum/zinc rod to control odor – no water softener. I’m just thinking this approach might provide good long-term tank life without as much hassle. I can attest to the “junk” this rod leaves behind – a couple years ago when I replaced the lower heating element, I sucked out quite a pile in the bottom of the tank.

Any down side to this, other than cost?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

I’m surprised your anodes got used up that fast in unsoftened water. But then, there is some water they all “aggressive” that also eats through anodes. Going with powered is fine. I think that tank will take SKU27, the one for heaters with hex anodes.

Randy Schuyler

Squareback
    Participant

Randy,

Thank you for responding. I thought you might be interested in the following info – State water heater installed 1-1-03; anode rod replaced first time 2-5-05.

I have attached images of what I found the first time I checked the anode rod. 😯

Attached files

Squareback
    Participant

Second image.

Attached files

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, I’ve looked at a LOT of anodes and don’t think I’ve ever seen one so completely used up that fast. Makes me wonder if they forgot the anode part of things and simply used a plug. There should be something left inside of that plug! If you go with a tank that uses a sacrificial anode, do check it in six months. 😉

Yours, Larry

Squareback
    Participant

I actually wondered that myself. The ones I have changed since have had at least some of the rod and a wire core. Will keep you posted on how this turns out.

Squareback
    Participant

Installed our new AO Smith ENS-40 water heater yesterday.

Took out the existing anode from the old State water heater to check its condition after 2 1/2 years – bottom six inches or so was gone. Also pulled the bottom element, also replaced 2 1/2 years ago, so I could look down from the top to see what was in the bottom of the old tan. I was very surprised at how much gunk was there, since I had cleaned it out at the time the element was replaced.

So, I have decided to pull the factory anode and install a powered anode-which I will order here.

Looking forward to years of trouble-free service…and not have to worry about continually checking the anode, and cleaning out the gunk in the tank from the old rods. Will just have to do the periodic flush.

Squareback
    Participant

Image of old anode.

Attached files

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page