Need Thermostat Controller for A.O. Smith HWT

The Tank Need Thermostat Controller for A.O. Smith HWT

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    tbailey4
    Participant

I have a 50 gal A.O. Smith Subchamber, foam insulated. It is about 20 years old and has always worked fine.
    PGCS 50 202
    PGCS 50 MOONO100000
    Serial # mm88-0014128-202

Water tank works fine except that I have to bump the thermostat to get it to fire up. If I don’t nudge” it, the water temp gets cool. It will light by itself but the water temp drops lower than it should.
    My question is, can I buy a thermostat controller for a reasonable price and if so who should I contact?

Or, Should I say 20 years is enough and pop for a new system.
    Thanks in advance for your replies, Tim

Ej
    Participant

To give you something to think about a new thermostat will be about 1/5th the cost of a new heater. A 20 year old heater that leaks can exceed the cost of a new heater just in repair damage to your house alone.

tbailey4
    Participant

It’s in the basement near a drain so leakage is not a big deal. I would still like to repair the thermostat.

Ej
    Participant

Take a picture of it and post it here. Also you will need to measure the length of the brass fitting that screws into the tank. Just the brass nipple part.

tbailey4
    Participant

Will do, it may take a day or so.
    Thanks EJ

tbailey4
    Participant

Sorry for the tiny pic. Site only allows so many bytes. The nipple between the controller and the tank seams to be “3/4 npt. I can see about 3/4” length. ODes this help?
    Thanks

Attached files

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Although it’s my site, I’m not sure how the picture function works, but I’ve seen people post some enormous pictures here. Probably not enormous as kilobytes, but enormous to view. I think you could size this to four or five inches wide but keep the resolution to 72dpi and it would show bigger.

Randy Schuyler

Ej
    Participant

That a very basic thermostat you can find at lowes. Drain your heater and remove the thermostat to match up. Just match up the nipple length and your good to go.

tbailey4
    Participant

Wow, Lowes? That’s way to easy. I will be there tomorrow. I will let you know how it went. Thanks a lot for this information.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page