Need some help BAD!

The Tank Need some help BAD!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Evertking
    Participant

I had ran out of propane …empty.. And had the gas company come out and fill the tank. I came home opened the line to the water heater(a new one) and light the pilot light came back it was out.. Lit it again. Held the pilot button down for a min like the tanks says.. The burner will light for a min then blows out. And this is where I’m at.. I can get the pilot lit but the burner won’t stay lit. Its like its being blown out.
    *** I was just in there and I was going to hold the pilot light down for two mins to see if that would help but the flame blew out with my finger on the button!! Could air be in the line?

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hi and yes! I’d expect to have air in the line. My approach to getting the air out is to shut off gas at the heater, then disconnect gas from the heater. Here’s where it can get tricky. If you can simply vent the line safely, then you can go ahead and open the gas valve and let ‘er rip for a short time, as much as ten seconds (this will depend on the length of your gas line). If it is not absolutely safe to do that, hook up a hose or some line to the gas line and run it outdoors to a safe place. Propane is far more dangerous than natural gas because it’s heavier than air and can pool, creating a fire/explosion hazard.

Once you’ve done that, hook the heater back up and relighting should be normal. 😉

Yours, Larry

Evertking
    Participant

The water heater is in a small bathroom with one window. Would it be safe to vent it in there with the window open?

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, In two words, ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! My understanding is code prohibits any combustion appliance from being in bedrooms or bathrooms. If it were installed there, opening a window couldn’t work like a vent pipe. I found this code which says you may install a water heater in a closet, but it needs to be sealed from the bed or bathroom, which I’ve never seen done with a gas fired heater:

“Located in a Bedroom, Bathroom, or Bedroom Closet (CPC 504.1)
    If located in a bedroom, bathroom, or bedroom closet, the water heater shall be located in a closet provided with a listed self-closing, gasketed door and all combustion air shall be obtained from outdoors. The water heater closet shall not be used for any other purpose.”

Apologies for being the bearer of bad news, but we don’t want to be hearing about your early demise in the news. Safety must come first.

Now, on a brighter note, propane can cost about what electricity does for heating water. You might consider installing an electric heater, both to make things simpler, (no moving the heater) and FAR safer! 😎

Yours, Larry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page