my plan – new water heater

The Tank my plan – new water heater

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    cramerd
    Participant

First off, many thanks to Randy for such a fantastic site – wow, so informative and well-written, packed with useful info. Thanks for undertaking this endeavor for people who like hot water in their homes.

I’ve read just about this entire site. My plan is to purchase this:

Rheem Model # XG50T09HE40U0 Performance Plus 50 gal. Tall 9 Year 40,000 BTU High Efficiency Natural Gas Water Heaterand install it according to this precepts laid out in the Best Water Heater section, which means I’ll purchase the curved dip tube and ball valve from here. I understand Rheem uses magnesium for their anodes, and that if I want to use a combo I’ll need to purchase one from a Rheem supply shop/plumber. I may forgo that and just change out the main anode more frequently.

Good plan?
    douglas

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Well done. You used the site the way it was intended to be used and made your own decisions instead of skipping the reading and asking for a decision to be made for you.

Randy Schuyler

cramerd
    Participant

Thanks Randy.

I do have a dilemma I’m sure can be solved.

My drain valve is clogged full of sediment, so water doesn’t drain out. I’m afraid of poking around in the valve too much, since the heater is 16 years old and the plastic is brittle. How do I get the water out of the tank so that I can move it for replacement?

Tank is in my garage, on a pedestal about 30 inches off the floor.

Thanks for the suggestions, I’m sure I’m not the first to face this challenge.

douglas

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Gee! I thought you said you read the whole site!:shock: That particular bit is in Know-How, in the Basics section.

Randy Schuyler

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello. Two things. I don’t see why you couldn’t add a combo anode from this site to your heater. And one trick for clearing that drain is to shut off water to the heater, open a hot tap and attach a hose to the drain. Then use cold water pressure to push sediment back.
    Yours, Larry

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page