More Smell

The Tank More Smell

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Terrill
    Participant

I have a 40 gal. State water heater located under the house with about 20″ of clearance between the top of the water heater and the floor. I would like to replace the anode with the aluminum / zinc anode and treat the heater / pipes with chlorine to remove the smell.

I don’t want to remove the heater to pull out the original anode, so I was going to hack saw sections of it as I pull it out of the top of the heater (if it is not down to the wire). What do you think?

I was then going to replace the anode with a flexible aluminum / zinc 3/4″ thread anode. Do you have one of these? How much?

After replacing the anode, I was going to pour in some chlorine, run it through the lines and let it sit for a day before using the water again. How much chlorine should I use? Would the chlorine have any adverse affect on the new aluminum / zinc anode?

Is this the right approach? Am I missing anything?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

First, when you say sulfur smell, do you mean rotten egg smell and is it only on the hot side? I ask because some water is naturally sulfurous and if so, changing the anode is a waste of time and money.

A test is to boil some cold water on the stove. If you can smell sulfur, then the water is naturally sulfurous. On the other hand, if hot tap water smells bad, that’s more likely to be bacteria-caused and the anode can help.

Next caveat: If you soften, a sacrificial anode probably won’t stop the smell, but a powered anode will. But if you don’t soften, a flexible aluminum/zinc anode is what you want.

As to bleach, don’t use chlorine. It’s dangerous. Pour two pints of hydrogen peroxide into the tank and proceed as you described. It will work just as well as chlorine.

The old anode may not require cutting if it’s been in the tank awhile. Often they’re fairly bendable. But keep the hacksaw handy just in case.

Randy Schuyler

Terrill
    Participant

I have a State water heater which has a 3/4 inch opening for the anode. Is the Flexible hex-head aluminum/zinc anode 3/4 inch? Will I be able to put this flex anode into a tank that has 18 – 20 inch clearance?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Oops! Sorry about that!

Yes, the anode will fit your water heater and the flexible one will work in that amount of overhead space. Cost is $97. Go to http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pages/WHRpages/English/OrderPages/PayPal/sales-through-PayPal.html to order.

Randy Schuyler

Terrill
    Participant

Should I “peroxide” the tank before or after I put in the new anode? Would the peroxide have any detrimental affect on the aluminum / zinc flex anode?

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: Do both at the same time. It’s a lot less work to open up the tank only once. Peroxide will have no bad effect on the anode.. Done right it will be about two pints in 40 gallons, left overnight 😉

Yours, Larry

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page