missing ignitor on water heater, how to light?

The Tank missing ignitor on water heater, how to light?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jake
    Participant

Hi, I’m new here and I’m inexperienced with water heaters so I appreciate all the help I can get. The pilot light went out on our water heater and I was trying to light it but its lacking the ignitor. theres no way to access the pilot light, theres a small window to view it as you try with the ignitor but the ignitor was taken off by the handy man they come out to help with these things. supposedly he lights it with a match but I see no way of accessing the pilot without removing 2 screws and removing a plate that has wires and the viewing window on it. Would this be safe to do? and as far as ignitors go, are they all that difficult to install? thank you for any help.

SnowyNorth
    Participant

What is the Brand and model number of the water heater? It should be on a label on the side.

Jake
    Participant

I can get that information tomorrow, but I really need it lit as soon as possible. do you think its safe to remove the plate and light the pilot the old fashined way?

SnowyNorth
    Participant

Any guess at how old the heater is?

Jake
    Participant

sorry, I have no idea on how old it is. Everyone tells me the handyman lights it with a match but the only way he could is by taking that cover off.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello Jake: It’s really bad form to modify heater controls. This is a safety concern. Get a new handyman. Your heater needs to be put back together, then some troubleshooting can happen to see what really needs fixing. Sorry that doesn’t get you hot water fast. Might be an excuse to take a mini vacation 😎

Yours, Larry

Jake
    Participant

thanks for the help everyone, the handyman came over today and I watched him light it. He showed me how to pop out the viewing window out with pliers then put a match on a little clamp on a extendable metal rod to reach the pilot and light it. We’re not staying at this house much longer and I can light it myself now so I’m set. Thanks again!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page