Maintenance and upgrade advice

The Tank Maintenance and upgrade advice

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ERIC007
    Participant

Hey guys, my question is about general maintenance and what upgrade kit would be best for my system since you guys definantly know allot more about water heaters than I do.
    My system is 4.5 years old and is fed by city water, it has a small cartridge filter that feeds into a Whirlpool WHES30 softener that feeds into (2) electric Whirlpool 50 gallon hot water heaters plumbed in series (model: EE3J50RD045V)with geothermal assist hot water pump. I did change the flush valves to brass when I installed them.
    1. First off is this model a candidate for the upgrade kit this site provides or would my system be better served with the powered anode kit?
    2. How often should I perform a flush?
    3. Im curious if you guys think that my washing machine mildew smelling clothes and smelly dishwasher dishes could be related to anything going on with this existing set up?

Randy Schuyler
                    Keymaster

I’d pull one or both of the sacrificial anodes and see how they’re doing. Softeners often chew through those much more rapidly than normal water does. If that’s happening, then powered anodes are a good idea. If not, not as big a deal.

If you stay with the aluminum anodes, you’ll want a flush kit or curved dip tube. The softener will take care of mineral sediment, but the anodes will create a different type. We advise flushing every six months to a year.

The upgrade parts will readily go into that type of heater.

Randy Schuyler

ERIC007
                    Participant

On a second note:
                    When I originally installed the hot water heaters I was debating using a tankless system but after speaking with my energy co-op and rebates that was offered I elected to go with electric. With the concept of endless hot water on the brain I researched that running two 50 gallon heaters in series was more energy efficient than running one 80 gallon heater.
                    There are 3 people in my family and the HWH’s are located in the basement and serve the main floor and the 2nd floor (3.5 baths).
                    Im curious could I have too much hot water setting around growing bacteria causing some of this mysterious odor in our clothes and in the glass ware?
                    I plumbed the system so that I could isolate either tank via thru plumbing and or power supply. I could completely drain and bypass one tank or simply let water flow thru with no power supply but I would assume this would cause even more aggressive corrosion within said tank.
                    I look forward to your responces and comments I never knew HWH’s would be so interesting.

Randy Schuyler
                    Keymaster

The main issue with water heaters is rotten-egg smell. I think your mildew odors are caused by something else.

Even if you bypass one heater, don’t drain it or the sacrificial anode won’t protect it from rusting.

Randy Schuyler

ERIC007
                    Participant

Thanks for the advice Randy.
                    I will be evaluating the HWH condition this coming week and ordering what I need after my inspection.
                    I was hoping that this may be related to the smell since we have tried changing detergent and washing habits. The house was built 4.5 years ago and all appliances are new.
                    Once I have completed all the maintenance needed I will update with any/all improvements gained.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page