Mag-Erad

The Tank Mag-Erad

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    homie
    Participant

Dear Larry,

You’ve mentioned in a couple of posts here that you like Mag-Erad, but then also that you don’t like the concept of heating water in a heater that isn’t completely full. Seems like a Catch-22, when one reads the Mag-Erad instructions. Any way to square the circle? What is the stress engendered by this form of heating, exactly? The tank is being watched and it’s for a short time so it can’t be the fact that the T&P valve is not submerged. Fumes at 212 being hotter than water at 130? Any diasters you’ve seen during this maneuver? Do you sell a Muck-Evac?

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: The problem with heating any fuel fired tank that isn’t full of water is that the uncovered part of the flue must get quite hot as water can’t keep it cool. From there you get thermal expansion of the steel flue, creating stresses in the tank. You might also damage the lining, particularly if water does touch the hot surfaces.

Letting the Mag Erad work longer could help. Adding a little preheated water could help. I’ve never seen any disasters using this product, but then I avoid disasters in my work 😎

I no longer make the Muck Vac, but anyone with a mechanical bent is welcome to give it a try.

Yours, Larry

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page