Low Hot Water Pressure, Fix or Buy New

The Tank Low Hot Water Pressure, Fix or Buy New

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Avanzi
    Participant

Hi All.

I have 40 gal Ruud/Rheem natural gas water tank atmospheric vented.

It is a rental. Knowing what I know now about rental agreements, I could have bought the rental heater out 10 years ago when we first moved into the house. Anyways….

Low hot water pressure. Rental company comes out the review and says it is most likely the heat trap clogged. First he considers repairing but then looks at the age of the unit – 20 years – and says they will replace. Fine.

At this point I was thinking, why don’t I have them repair(if they even will now), buy the water heater out ($100). Am I throwing good money after bad and are there other considerations to be looking at when a water tank has reached 20 years. The otehr option of course is to just buy new and install myself.

Thanks.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

That depends on whether the utility regularly changed the sacrificial anode. The Canadian utilities that do rentals do know about maintenance. Either way, you still need to deal with the pressure issue, which might be a heat trap, or something else. You might look here: http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pages/WHRpages/English/Troubleshooting/Tanklets/backflushing.html

Randy Schuyler

Avanzi
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.

No maintenance. Looking at the heater more closely, it should probably go. Thanks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page