Leaking Pressure Release Vaulve

The Tank Leaking Pressure Release Vaulve

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jllinem
    Participant

PRV was leaking a cup of water a day. Replaced PRV and continued to leak a cup of water a day. Checked water temperature at 2 minute intervals for 8 minutes and the temperature was a constant 120°. Then a did the water pressure gauge. Pressure was at 50 psi during non heating cycle. At heating cycle the pressure went up to 60 psi. Was told I probable bought a defective PRV so I bought a 3rd one. You guessed it, it leaks a cup of water a day. But yesterday it didn’t leak at all until today, and it was a cup of water again. Any suggestions, it’s only 6 years old. Does dog years apply to hot water heaters?

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, Actually dog years are pretty close to “un-maintained water heater” years 😛 What you describe sounds exactly like thermal expansion. The term PRV means pressure reducing valve to me, but I’m guessing it means pressure relief valve to you! If there is an actual pressure reducing valve or any other device that would prevent back-flow, then you want an expansion tank in the system anyplace downstream of the back-flow preventer, pressure reducer or check valve (best on a cold line). I’m not trusting that pressure gauge. They do make a pressure gauge that has a pointer built-in that records the highest pressure reached. This is what it looks like. I like the 0-200 psi range.

Yours, Larry

jllinem
    Participant

I’m sorry, yes its a pressure release valve that keeps leaking. And that is the pressure gauge I’m using. Of course the guy at **me Dep** said that the pressure and temperature is find, and that the water tank is only good for 6 years and needs to be replaced! If pressure and temperature is fine, is there something else? Would it be more cost efficient to hire a repairman or buy a new one? Thanks for your help

Water Heater Ignorantly Your, Ron

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page