Kenmore PowerMiser 9 – Runs on

The Tank Kenmore PowerMiser 9 – Runs on

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jclinansmith
    Participant

The Kenmore PowerMiser 9 in my mothers basement has an intermittent problem. Now and again, the floor floods as water is pushed out the pressure relief control valve and to the floor. What I have noticed is that the water inside is percolating/popping loudly and the hot water tank is on (i can hear it still heating the water up). The water coming out is steaming very hot. I shut off the cold water to the tank and let it settle down. Then I turn that valve back on and then turn the hot water on in the basement bathroom sink. This eventually leads to all the pressure relieving out of the tank and it stops leaking. Then it is fine for a few days. I notice she keeps the dial up very high. Typically on the B selection past the numbers on the dial. She has done this for years though and this has just started for the last few months off and on. I am not sure what I need to do to correct this issue. Friends are telling me its the pressure release valve but in my mind, that seems to be doing what it should be doing. Any thoughts? Thank you very much for any input.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

It IS the temperature/pressure relief valve, but your mom is lucky hers works; a lot don’t. When they don’t, the heater blows up. A pro needs to take a hard look at that heater and see why it’s doing that — and that as soon as possible! It sounds like it’s not shutting off when it should. Then the temperature and/or pressure passes the limits and the T&P opens and vents to prevent catastrophe.

Randy Schuyler

jclinansmith
    Participant

Thank you Randy. One of my fears is that it will not release one of these times. That is exactly what is happening, your statement. It reaches the set temp but just keeps on going and going until a physically turn it down.

jclinansmith
    Participant

I turned it back up for her today because it was too cold. So I can hear is popping often. I turn on the hot water and you hear that popping speed up and go away. Rinse and repeat. Its like air is getting trapped inside the tank somehow, being pulled in. The water is not hot enough in my opinion to boil like this. The water that comes out is a bit more then tepid but not scorching by any means.

So if I manually operate the pressure release valve, water instantly dumps out. I am confuddled at this point.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page