Is this Normal?

The Tank Is this Normal?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    buffee
    Participant

I am so glad I found this forum because waiting for my contractor to call me back on anything is a nightmare.
    I live in a MOBILEHOME, we did alot of remodeling 6 months ago. We placed the Old waterheater with a brand new GAS ONE(outside)

Is it supposed to come on by itself? I thought the waterheater would ONLY turn on if you were using HOT water. This morning I noticed it came on at 5:35AM and stayed on for 15 minutes. It was extremly cold outside. Is it supposed to do this? I have NO idea what the brand is, and my contractor never even gave me the booklet(I will be getting all this within the next few days) but according to my mother this is normal.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: Yes, it’s normal. The tank is thermostatically controlled. It slowly cools down from heat loss over time. When it cools enough, the thermostat says to itself, “I’m COLD, this won’t do!” and it turns on gas to the burner to reheat the tank back up to the set point… Only people who have thought way too much about water heaters can actually hear them talk 😎 No need to ask how I know that.

Yours, Larry

buffee
    Participant

Hi Larry

Thank u so………..much for your reply. I never noticed that with the old one(of course it had alot of other noises) and this actually qoke me up this morning. My window is about 4 feet from the outside door where the heater is. For the life of me I could not figure out what it was, so I finally got up with a flashlight and went out side..BRRRRRRRRRRRRR..it was cold and there it was…the water heater. Our stupid contractor never even told me what make/model or anything..other then its brand new and 1,000 sp I had no idea this was normal.
    Thanks again for making me feel better. 😀

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page