Is there hope?

The Tank Is there hope?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lady in Distress
    Participant

When I purchased my post-divorce home 15 years ago it came with the water heater on this site’s museum page identified as “A:”. My plumber told me to replace it immediately. I didn’t because I thought it was interesting. Saturday I had hot water. Sunday I didn’t. It appears to me that the pilot light is out. (Not that I can even find where it should be.) I know there is water in the tank; it just isn’t being heated. But I don’t smell gas even though I haven’t turned it off. Does anyone have documentation for this water heater so I can trouble shoot the problem? I know any plumber I call will just want to replace it and I want to save it if at all possible. Thanks.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

I’d say there’s still hope, but I’m going to leave this to my friend Larry Weingarten, whose collection you saw. Glad you didn’t let the plumber replace it. You could easily have the same problem with a modern heater.

Randy Schuyler

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: In all likelihood, the pilot/thermocouple assembly is in need. Your heater could easily be forty or more years old. That’s pretty good for a thermocouple 😎 Whether you do this or have it done; try to relight the pilot as it is. It moght work correctly. If it doesn’t light or doesn’t stay lit for long, chech to see the thermocouple is being heated nicely by the pilot. If it is heating and still not staying lit, consider replacing the thermocouple and/or cleaning the pilot orifice. Once the above has been done, please let us know how things stand. The control hopefully is still good. It would be trickier to replace.

Yours, Larry

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page