The Tank › Iron smell in Water
- January 10, 2013 at 9:43 am #19340alanharitonParticipant
We have two small hot water heaters because of where they are placed. At first we had a Rotten Egg smell but that was quickly removed when we used the house more and the water was flowing more often.
The problem now has been iron. The water has a very strong iron smell only when we use hot water. We also had our caretaker flush the hot water heaters with Bleach. I have also added a 1 micron filter prior to the water entering the water softener system. That filter has helped a little but the smell is still there. the bathroom downstairs closer to the main water source has a stronger iron smell during a shower than the one two floors up.
any advise or help would be appreciated here. We are getting better results but i want the smell gone.January 14, 2013 at 2:25 am #19364Larry WeingartenParticipant
Hello: A few random thoughts:
1. Is there any iron in the system other than the tank; like a cast iron pump or steel pipe?
2. Are you on a well? Could be iron bacteria from that source.
3. Has the water been tested for iron and for iron bacteria?
4. Try covering the shower drain as you shower for a few minutes and see if that has any effect on the odor.
5. Are both showers supplied by the same heater? If so, the odor should be the same.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.