Instant Hot Water Variations in Temperature

The Tank Instant Hot Water Variations in Temperature

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    di_speaking
    Participant

My gas hot water heater is 11 yrs old, and, up until now, has run like a charm. Over the past two months, I’ve noticed that, where I use to have to wait 30 seconds or a minute (maybe) for hot water to reach the sink/tub, now my hot water is almost immediately there. In the bathroom closest to the hot water heater, the hot water tap is hot when you turn it on with no waiting required…this was not the case before.

In addition, over the past week, I’ve noticed variations in the temperature of the hot water at the sink in the kitchen. Sometimes, I can get really scalding hot water, and sometimes, only really warm water. While I am fairly sure the temperature variations are a water heater issue, I’m not sure about the instant hot water at the taps issue.

Can all of this be water heater related? Or do I have two separate issues? And are either of these dangerous? I don’t want my water heater to explode or burn down my home.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I want all my ducks in a row, so to speak, before I start calling the repairmen out.

undee70ss
    Participant

First thing would be to check for a leak. With faucets off ect… go and watch the water meter for at least several min. If the meter is moving, you have a leak.

Do a cross connection test You may be having cold water getting into the hot water pipes, or vise versa. This can cause variations in the temperature of the hot water at the sink in the kitchen.

Try this test, turn the kitchen sink on with a med temp setting, then turn off the service valves to both hot and cold in the bathroom closest to the hot water heater, the hot water tap is hot when you turn it on with no waiting required… Does this change the temp of the water coming out of the kitchen sink???

di_speaking
    Participant

Cross Connection…isn’t that when you have hot on one side and cold on the other, and they meet together before they flow into the tap?? I have separate hot/cold lines going directly to the tap. So could it still be a cross-connection problem? (Sorry, I know this is probably a ‘girl’ question but you don’t know if you don’t ask 😉 )

Couldn’t tell any difference in the temp in the kitchen after shutting off the valves in the bathroom sink. However, after messing around with both sinks (kitchen and bath), I realized that both ‘hot’ lines of water into each sink are warm to the touch (before the water is turned on). I haven’t found any leaks, and the taps are not dripping, so why would the temperature of the water lines be raised on both hot water pipes underneath the sink? I checked all the other hot water lines into each faucet in the whole house, but only those two were affected.

Haven’t done the whole house water shutoff yet.

undee70ss
    Participant

di_speaking wrote:

Cross Connection…isn’t that when you have hot on one side and cold on the other, and they meet together before they flow into the tap?? I have separate hot/cold lines going directly to the tap. So could it still be a cross-connection problem? (Sorry, I know this is probably a ‘girl’ question but you don’t know if you don’t ask 😉 )

A combination faucet (where one lever controls both the hot and cold) have hot and cold lines supplying it and one tap(opening) for water to flow out. When the lever is turned off, water is turned off from the tap and the hot and cold are off from each other. A cross connection is where when the lever is off, the hot and cold are not off from each other, there is a leak but the leak is internal inside the faucet (you won’t see any water dripping)

To do a cross connection test, turn off the water to the water heater. There is usually a valve on one of the pipes just above the water heater. With the water to the water heater turned off, turn on a faucet to max hot. A little water should come out and stop. If this happens, then no cross connection.

If water keeps flowing, let it flow for several min, take note if the water is hot, warm or cold. Then post back.

di_speaking wrote:

Couldn’t tell any difference in the temp in the kitchen after shutting off the valves in the bathroom sink. However, after messing around with both sinks (kitchen and bath), I realized that both ‘hot’ lines of water into each sink are warm to the touch (before the water is turned on).

The pipes will be hot if any hot water has been run recently. Take note of temp of pipes when no water has been run for several hrs, or overnight.

di_speaking wrote:

I haven’t found any leaks, and the taps are not dripping, so why would the temperature of the water lines be raised on both hot water pipes underneath the sink?

There should be 2 pipes under the sink, a hot and a cold. Are you saying both pipes feeding the sink faucet are hot?

di_speaking wrote:

Haven’t done the whole house water shutoff yet.

You don’t need to shutoff the water to the whole house, just make sure no one in the house is using any water (faucets, toilets, washing machine ect…) then go watch the water meter. If there is a external leak, the meter will be moving even though no one is using water.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page