Increasing the Current on Powered Anodes?

The Tank Increasing the Current on Powered Anodes?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Wdchemee1
    Participant

We have three A.O. smith BTH199-100 units at our varying flow hotel. We had fouling issues on our galvanized discharge nipples and plugging of our mixing valves. My understanding is we should convert to copper or plastic lined steel. However, in our cold water to hot water samples, we have a 75% increase in copper levels. My fear is the internal coils corroding.
    We have powered anodes on the units. Can they be adjusted (turned up) to supply more protection? Will this help?

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

I’m assuming the anodes are factory equipment. This is a question for A.O. Smith, since I know only about the powered anodes I sell, which I wouldn’t want to see used in a high-output gas commercial heater. Mine can be adjusted, but only Smith knows about theirs, and how.

Randy Schuyler

Wdchemee1
    Participant

Randy Thanks. Just curious, why do you say you would not want to use the ones you sell on my type of equipment? Capacity? Volume? Electrical output? I am still holding on to a concern that during our high flow times of day, even with two of these as factory installed are not providing ample protection.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Heat. The kind I sell replace a sacrificial anode. Those are within the inner cover of your tanks and will be exposed to very hot exhaust gases. I imagine Smith engineered theirs to avoid that issue.

On high-recovery tanks, there is an inner and outer cover. On some other makes, the anodes are outside the inner cover, in a circle with the plumbing. On others, they are nested more toward the center.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page