Hydro Utilities Said I have 17 inches scrum in Hot Water Tank

The Tank Hydro Utilities Said I have 17 inches scrum in Hot Water Tank

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ladyisis123
    Participant

I rent my water heater and the responsibility was up the owner to have it drain ever year. I learned this and more from the Hydro man who came to my door to tell me about this. He told me that my hot water tank has not be replaced since 1997. It is now 2013 and I have been living here 14 years. I am worried that this scum could be hazardous to my health. They will be replacing the tank next week for a glass one. Something new to help with environment and people. The Hydro man told me that this was the worse case he has seen. Told be that that this problem could cause hair loss, skin rashes, infection eyes from water dripping from head. I am so worried and would appreciate any feedback as to health issues. Thank you.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Don’t believe everything anybody tells you. Sediment buildup is usually harmless to people, but hard on water heaters. Draining water heaters doesn’t help much to control sediment anyway. Flushing them with a curved dip tube does, but not many people know to do that.

It’s highly likely they are going to replace the old water heater with another just like it. The same type has been made by everybody for the past 60 years.

Why did this Hydro guy take it upon himself to come tell you all that? Was he trying to sell you something? Sounds like he pretty thoroughly scared you. Why?

Randy Schuyler

ladyisis123
    Participant

This guy works on behalf of Hydro Quebec — it’s a subsidiary – the people who replace the tanks only. I was going crazy for a couple of days. If there is no worry then this takes a load off my mind. He was not selling anything but this guy may not have known how it upset me. Thanks for your response. Appreciate it very much 🙂

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

If you see him again, you might have him come here and interact with us. Seventeen inches of sediment is a lot of sediment and likely hard on the water heater. You could go to my Sediment page in Water Heater Basics and learn what it is and what it does. But he ought to learn more about that too, so that he doesn’t go around scaring people with stories of death and doom.

Sediment in the bottom of the heater wouldn’t have any particular effect on the user.

Randy Schuyler

ladyisis123
    Participant

Thank you so much for getting back to me. The owner owns this water heaters and I pay through Hydro Solutions of a 2 month basis. The water heaters are in another home here where I rent. The owner should be draining these water heaters as I would be liable if something were to go wrong with me trying to drain it; I know nothing about draining the tanks. I will certainly go check out the sediment page as I think this would really help me calm down. I am boiling water because of the fear this man put on me. I would love to send him to you but I am sure I will never see him again. What really upsets me also is if they change the tank to newer ones I would have no idea they were doing this because it is in another person home in the basement. I guess if my water is off for a couple of hours; then they have changed the tanks.

ladyisis123
    Participant

I read your page on Sediment inside the hot water tank. I have forwarded this to my sister who owns a home. I think this information is valuable for her.

One little comment on your page “loads of jelly-like aluminum corrosion by-product don’t build up on the tank bottom”. Back to the man who rang my doorbell did say that the sediment was like thick like oil”. Should I worry about this. I am so sorry that I am asking so many questions but to me it is important as my owner does not take his responsibilities per the owner code.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Even then, it’s not going to hurt you as it stays on the bottom of the heater. I wouldn’t want to drink it, though, as in using the water heater in the event of a disaster for drinking water.

I’m still curious how the guy knew what was inside your heater unless he used one of those flexible cameras some people now have.

Randy Schuyler

ladyisis123
    Participant

I realized only yesterday that Hydro Quebec was out sourcing the hot water rental to this company. They had checked all water tanks and that’s how he knew. They replaced all water tanks and they said it would be some type of glass inside the hot water heaters. They will be charging out a monthly fee for rental. I did keep a glass of water to test if need be. I think this man was trying to impress me with his knowledge but it turned out he scared me instead.

This man told me my glass of water I have on my counter would turn black at the bottom. If it does not and this is the 4th day; I will no longer worry since the tank has been replaced. By I surely will keep my ear to the wall 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page