Hybrid water heater

The Tank Hybrid water heater

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    srdenny
    Participant

Anyone have experience with the Eternal water heater?
    http://www.eternalwaterheater.com/
    Saw it demonstrated yesterday and was impressed. Would like to hear how it performs in real world situations.
    Scott

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

One was discussed at a seminar I attended last spring. It’s a condensing water heater, isn’t it? Very efficient, on a par with several others in its class, and very expensive, relative to a lowly tank-type water heater, but people who buy those are using them for a lot more than to just heat bath water.

Randy Schuyler

srdenny
    Participant

Actually it isn’t a condensing heater. It’s a single pipe power vent unit with effic. in the mid 80’s range. Strictly for dom hot water. It has a 3 gallon tank/heat stainless exchanger inside with the water flow from bottom to top. Because of this set up when used with a recirc pump there is no cold water sandwich, there is no minimum flow necessary to get hot water and the exchanger is self cleaning. Sounds great on paper. I just want to verify the claims and if these are any glitches the need to be worked out. As for price, they aren’t cheap, but installation is cheaper than tankless due to plastic rather than stainless flue. Best suited for new construction. On a retro of a tank type heater the payback time would probably be measured in decades.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Thanks for the elaboration. So much for my memory. 🙁 Let’s see if anybody out there has one and can respond.

Randy Schuyler

smithplg
    Participant

Product logic on paper sounds great but my experince with these units has been horrible!!!! i have had so many problems with the units.. The major issues that i have had has been leaks inside the tanks that create small explosions. My customer discribe the sound as a shot gun blast. I had to replace all of the units i have installed!! i found out later that manufacture was replacing all first production units because of bad welds on the tanks… I will never install this product again!!! Too many problems!!!!

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: I think Randy’s memory is fine. The new Eternal is a condensing, 98% efficient heater according to the web site. The old one is 86% efficient which still condenses at least some of the time. They fire from 145,000 to 236,000 BTUs, which is plenty for doing space heating in most homes, though one should add a heat exchanger to prevent possible contamination of the drinking water.

I can only imagine they wouldn’t have redesigned the heater if the original had worked flawlessly. This unit is talked about as the Cadillac of efficient heaters, but unless you combine water and space heating, I don’t see how one could justify the cost in a single family home.

For me, it’s the electronics that are worrisome. Grid power is not that clean and that can be a problem for the electronic brain of a modern heater. I do look forward to hearing more tales from the field.

Yours, Larry

beelabor
    Participant

I just put a 2000sf addition with one full bath on an existing 2000sf lake home in the highlands of PA. An Eternal was used to replace the 40 gal tank for the entire house now3 1/2 baths. The new addition also has radiant heat in the floor of the addition, upstairs and down stairs, and I supplimented the lower level of the existing 2000sf with base board heat, all run off the Eternal. So far this winter, with night tempertures in the 30’s no problem with all showers running, and lots of good cooking in the kitchen. I think this will be a true test for Eternal not to mention the extremely hard water there. Wish me luck.:D

ecouser
    Participant

Anyone have any idea who in Utah to get to come look at a Eternal hybrid that doesn’t maintain water temperature? I’ve asked a couple different plumbers and they say the units are too new/complicated for them to work on and suggest getting someone else. I don’t see the point in having the installer come back a third time.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page