How to remove a stuck Pilot Gas Line fitting?!?

The Tank How to remove a stuck Pilot Gas Line fitting?!?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Murrstir
    Participant

The Pilot light gas line broke during removal and now the little brass fitting end is stuck in the outlet port of the Gas valve/temp controller of my LP Gas water heater (2017 Richmond, Model G640-32PF3). Any ideas on how to remove it?
    Just the brass tip of the fitting is stuck up in the threaded port hole.
    A small finish-nail fit up inside the fitting hole, but I could not successfully use it as a lever to wiggle the fitting out. Has anyone encountered and solved this problem before? If so, how did you do it please?

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, I have not had this happen, but can do a bit of brainstorming. First, it would be good if you could post a photo, as close up as you can get, so I’m guessing less. Actually, I’m not sure one can post photos in the new forum! From your description, I’d be looking to fit a steel rod snugly into the brass bit and then rotate it around and side to side to see if this wiggling can work the brass loose. It may be that a 16p nail, ground down to the right size could be your tool. I’d want the surface of the steel to be rough anyway to help grip the brass.
    You say “little brass fitting”. By that do you mean the ferrule? This is the brass ring that’s supposed to squeeze around the tubing to make a gas tight connection. If that’s what it is, then this could have been caused in the first place, because the aluminum tube was not protruding past the ferrule originally.

Yours, Larry

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

I’m new to this platform, so I’m inquiring about uploading pictures. Meantime, though, Murrstir, I suggest you send one to mail@waterheaterrescue.com and I’ll see that Larry gets it.

Randy Schuyler

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

The web designer added this functionality after I asked about it. It’s the picture icon at the far right of the screen when you’re creating your post. That’s a relief. It would be dismaying not to have a function that we always had before.

Randy Schuyler

Murrstir
    Participant

Thankyou I looked for an image insertion operation earlier but did not see it. Now it shows above the message window for me (using Chrome browser)Brass ferrule @ ~90 degrees

Murrstir
    Participant

Before the damage. It appears I can only submit one pic at a time.

Murrstir
    Participant

Opps, last pic was before the damage. This pic is the stuck ferrule at about 75 degrees.stuck ferrule @ 75 degrees

Murrstir
    Participant

So yes,  the cheap little gas line just broke off without much violence on my part, IMO. Now the ferrule is refusing to leave the seat, kinda like an ex-president, or something.

I sanded down a small finish nail to fit, inserted into the hole and cautiously tried to wiggle/lever it loose but I stopped short of doing further harm.

I have a small blade screwdriver I thought I might try to lever the sides from around the outside of the ferrule, but I am worried about damaging the threads on the portal itself.

I also found a small, fine threaded screw. If I slowly screw it into the aluminum hole, I might then have a strong staff to pull on, removing the ferrule with it.

Any bets on the best method, or another strategy even?

Murrstir
    Participant

The severed line.pilot gas line end is separated from ferrule

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hi, The screw method sounds good. I wouldn’t pry from the side. Too much risk of damaging the aluminum housing. Just get a good bite and then wiggle very gently over a period of a few minutes. This used to be called “worrying” it.

Yours,  Larry

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page