How to install a propane hot water heater?

The Tank How to install a propane hot water heater?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    WashingtonWife
    Participant

Hello!

Our 50 gallon propane hot water heater cannot be repaired. The propane water heaters were a lot more expensive than a comparable gas or electric model. We consulted with two companies for installation, and all were about $550-625 for installation only. Is this a normal price range? If so, why is propane more than gas to install?

Is this something that my husband can do himself? He’s quite handy and has a lot of mechanical and DIY experience. He’s careful, takes his time and does a lot of research before projects. We would, of course, get permits, ect. Do we need a pro for this?

Thank you so much.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: If you’re getting a permit, nothing big and wrong should slip by. Propane is heavier than air, so can pool and cause all sorts of trouble. As long as you put in a catchment to drain off leaking propane, things should be good. Other than that, installation is much like other heaters.

Yours, Larry

WashingtonWife
    Participant

Thank you so much. I feel so much better knowing it’s like a regular heater. I will tell my husband. I knew propane was heavier and needed the catchment. I guess that’s why everyone I called quoted me double the price…because they could, lol.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page