Hot water tank – Vacation setting

The Tank Hot water tank – Vacation setting

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    justgene42
    Participant

😀 Hi everyone,

Just a general question on leaving your water heater while on vacation. I’ll put it on vacation setting for short stays of a week or so but what about four weeks? Should I turn it off? If so, then do I need to drain it also?

Thanks,

Justgene42

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

That’s really kind of up to you. All that’s happening is that you’re using a little energy because the heater will try to keep the tank at the temperature it’s set at, whether anybody is using hot water or not and there is always some heat loss.

If you turn it off, you don’t need to drain the tank. Do remember that there is a chance that the anaerobic bacteria that cause rotten egg odor will build up in the tank, but that’s not a big deal. If you get that, just dump some hydrogen peroxide in after you get back.

Randy Schuyler

Thanks for the info Randy.

JustGene

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: I’ll chime in that leaving it on “vacation” or simply turning it to pilot when gone, is better than turning it off completely. That’s because the little heat from the pilot will help dry and keep from rusting the combustion chamber and flue.

Leaving the tank full of water allows the anode to continue to protect the tank. You may want to shut off water to the house or tank and open a tap. This will relieve pressure, but not drain the heater. It is a good way to prevent plumbing leaks while away.

Yours, Larry

scumbdyoit
    Participant

BUT — the combustion products of the pilot light flame include water vapor, which contributes to rusting of the combustion chamber and flue.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

To reiterate what Larry just said on this, while there will be some water vapor, the heat from the pilot will help dry the flue and prevent rusting of the combustion chamber and flue.

Randy Schuyler

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page