hot water smells like kerosene or paint thinner

The Tank hot water smells like kerosene or paint thinner

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Karens
    Participant

We have a Richmond PowerVent water heater that is one year old. Any ideas on why the hot water would start smelling like like kerosene? The hot water also tastes bad. We do have a water softener. Thank you.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: Were things working correctly for a while and then started smelling/tasting bad? Was any work done to the plumbing in or outside of the house? Is the trouble only in the hot water and at every faucet? I might try bypassing the softener to see if that has an effect. If there are any other things in the line, like a filter, I’d clean or bypass those one at a time to look for a change in the water.

Yours, Larry

Karens
    Participant

We have lived in the house 8 years and the water was good up until now. Smell comes from all faucets hot and cold, but hot is much worse. Water softener is about 4 years old. No changes or work to plumbing inside or outside the house. We have city water; the neighbors are not having this problem. Could a problem with the PowerVent cause this problem? Thank you for responding.
    Karen

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: As odor is coming from the cold water too, the problem likely isn’t the water heater. Hot water is more likely to have odor as any chemical will be vaporized more easily when hot.

Have you had opportunity to bypass the softener to see if there is a change? Also, is the softener one that you add salt/potassium to or is it the tank that the softener company switches out periodically?

Yours, Larry

Karens
    Participant

Water softener is the type that we add only salt to. I am going to try and figure out how to bypass the water softener today. I am going to call the water softener company Monday.
    Thank you.

Karen

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page