Hot Water Problem

The Tank Hot Water Problem

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Gemma
    Participant

I have a water tank in the kitchen cupboard, and for the past few days after being switched on to warm up the water has been running hot for a few minutes and then cooling down to say lukewarm.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could be the problem, and any solutions.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: I can give you a wild guess as what I know best is top connect, tank type heaters in the USA. I’m guessing your heater is electric and has the hot and cold lines hooked up at the bottom. If so, to get hot water, there will be a dip tube on the hot side, so only hot water from the top of the tank runs out. If that dip tube is damaged, it would create the symptoms you describe.

If my assumptions are wrong, let me know and I’ll guess something else 😀

Yours, Larry

Gemma
    Participant

Hi thanks for your reply, i dont really know anything about tanks so i have taken a picture 🙂

The top pipe does not seem to be damaged and the tank is electric. My partner did say that he heard it make a clunk kind of noise the other day when he turnt it on to heat it up?

Hope that helps. Thankyou:D

Attached files

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: How about a couple more wild guesses mixed with some info gathering? That looks like the heating element up on the top left. Is there another placed lower or is there another heat source? It would be useful to check this element for continuity and any leakage to ground. It is different than what I deal with, so getting someone familiar with its nuances would be good. Under “Tanklets” above, you will find a link to electric heater issues, which describes how to do the tests I’ve mentioned.

Another thing to check is the hot flow. Feel the copper pipe on top of the tank when water is flowing. It’ll be hot at first, but does it cool down like the water flowing from the tap or does it stay hot? If it stays hot, the problem is in the plumbing rather than the tank.

I’d also take a meter and see that the element is getting full voltage. It could be a circuit breaker problem.

If any UK plumbers are reading this, I’d be glad for you to chime in 😎

Yours, Larry

Ej
    Participant

I’d like to see a overall photo of the complete tank. Interesting.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page