Hot water flow issues

The Tank Hot water flow issues

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I recently had a leak around the drain valve on my water heater which I plan to fix myself. Initially when the leak first started I could still get hot water with no problem. The leak started to get a bit worse so I turned off the cold water valve, which I think is stripped. I turned off the power to the unit and removed the valve. Unfortunately I have a cheap cone valve. I took of the outer cone part and left the nipple attached. I wrapped it with Teflon tape and reattached the cone valve to the nipple. Now it only has a minor leak. The problem is that I turned everything back on including the power and cold water inlet. When I had everything turned off I had no hot water flowing from the faucet which I expected of course. Now that I have temporarily fixed the drain valve and turn everything back on, I’m not getting any hot water. The heater is working because I can feel the heat at the outflow pipes at the top and on the unit itself but I’m not getting any hot water flowing out. I thought it was because I had flipped the pressure valve when I first worked on it but now it should be repressurized right? Is it a pressure problem or something else? Help!!

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: I’ll guess you have a gate valve (see image). If it’s stripped, than no amount of turning will open it and it needs to be replaced. Use a ball valve!

Yours, Larry

ps. Don’t turn on power to the heater until you have water at the hot taps. You could burn out elements 😯

Attached files

Participant

That’s the problem- I’m not getting any water from the hot taps. The cold water inlet is stripped but open. The tank is still full. Everything seems ok to run but it’s just not flowing to the faucets.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

If it were stripped, but open, you’d have water pressure. You’re going to have to replace it to get any again.

Randy Schuyler

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: If you have pressure in the tank and none at the taps, you know there is a problem downstream of the heater. If the relief valve is OK, open that to see if you get a good flow of water. If not, you’ll know there is no flow to the tank and that evil gate valve is laughing 😀

Yours, Larry

Ej
    Participant

Stripped in a close position is common. You can try opening the TP relief valve to see if you have pressure at the tank. You’ll here the water flow.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page