Help on a PVP-40E-1A

The Tank Help on a PVP-40E-1A

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Autoxrs
    Participant

Before I begin my post:
    #1: A great site. Visited for information, and always seem to find it.
    #2: A noob here!

Consider myself a handy DIY. Water heater with the subjected model is showing the following symptoms (unit is ~10-12 years old): Won’t start.

I have done the following:
    1. Check breaker and it is not tripped.
    2. Removed the vent motor. Cleaned out the fins and motor body. Minimal dirt.
    3. Reconnected vent motor to extension cord and it works.
    4. Removed what appears to be a vacuum tube on top of the unit (connects to vent motor), blown through it, and sucked on it to remove any particles. Airflow is clear. It seems easier to suck on the tube than blow on it.
    5. Last time this happened, wiped and vacuumed out the burner plate (unit worked after that).

Issue has happened about 5-6 times in the last 9 months. Prior times, carrying out steps 2-4 resulted in the unit firing back up, albeit, the last time I had to let her sit overnight (no power, gas line turned off).

Any recommendations on what to try next? Or should I just replace the unit. In which case, any recommendations?

Thanks a million in advance for the assistance!

SnowyNorth
    Participant

Is it a standing pilot unit or hot surface ignition? What is make and type of gas control valve? This link has some technical bulletins that may help troubleshoot.

http://www.rheem.com/WHTechBulletins.aspx?Category=PowerVent

Autoxrs
    Participant

SnowyNorth, thanks for your response.
    I will review the TSBs when I have a chance to tear into the unit some more tomorrow.
    In the interim, to answer your questions:
    (a) Honeywell Intermittent Spark Pilot Control (Honeywell S8600M).
    (b) Gas Valve – Honeywell (see pic).

Thanks for your help thus far.

Attached files

Ej
    Participant

You going to need a ohm meter to see what control is failing. Good news is this is a very simple heater to work on. Upon failure I would check to see if there is 24v at the input of the Honeywell Module. That would be across the terminals labeled 24v and 24v ground. We can go from there once you check this.

Autoxrs
    Participant

All,
    A quick update:
    Using the TSB documentation (#1602 – Thanks SnowyNorth), I was able to verify:
    1. 110V to the Thermostat and ECO.
    2. 24 Transformer has no DC reading at 24V GND to yellow wire leading from the vacuum switch to the transformer.
    3. Blower motor operates if plugged to an external outlet, however, there is no AC reading at the top of the unit where it plugs in.

Is it safe to say Time for a New WH? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks in Advance!

energyexpert
    Participant

Was that 24 vdc or 24 vac? Most control voltage (24) is ac.

David

Autoxrs
    Participant

David,
    Good catch on my typo. I was checking AC voltage.
    Incidentally, I called Rheem in desperation. They told me it was the gas valve (wiper control), resulting in the top of the unit not getting power, however, this does not explain why I do not get a 24V reading on the transformer.
    Going to hope someone has an idea here, otherwise, try Rheem again tomorrow morning, followed by a replacement unit I guess.
    Thanks!

Ej
    Participant

Do you have your input 120v going into the transformer? Also can you take a overall photo of your heater? Normally the power will go up to the power vent from the thermostat then through a temperature limit switch and a vacuum switch then back down to the transformer/ignition circuit.

Autoxrs
    Participant

Ej,
    I did check for 110V AC on the block where the “reset” switch and thermostat temperature control is located. Across the terminals to the left. Is that not the right place? Seems that that is where the power comes in from the main, and goes to the transformer. Let me know.

Here are some pictures (separate posts):

Attached files

Autoxrs
    Participant

110V panel:

Attached files

Autoxrs
    Participant

Controls:

Attached files

Autoxrs
    Participant

Blower:

Attached files

SnowyNorth
    Participant

Nice pictures. For me, seeing the arrangement always helps understand.

The transformer appears to be under the cover of the inner enclosure.

Attached files

Autoxrs
    Participant

Thanks SnowyNorth. Any recommendations on next steps?

Autoxrs
    Participant

All,
    Problem solved. It was the thermostat. $14 at the local big box store. Thanks to all for input and assistance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page