Heat trap help

The Tank Heat trap help

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tapout75
    Participant

I just replaced my water heater today with a new 50 gal. GE electric. It came with what appeared to be blue plugs in the nipples for the water lines. I then attempted to pull the plug out, then realized it was actually the heat trap valve. So, needless to say i knew it wouldnt seal right on my hose with that jacked up plastic sticking up, so the little bit that sticks up to form the seal on your hose, i cut it off flush with the top of the nipple. Hooked my hoses up and to my surprise it didnt leak. I am thinking that by cutting off the sealing part of the heat trap, i have more or less bypassed it.

Now my question is, the cold inlet line is now HOT, like hot enough to burn. It is about 20″ from the nipple to the wall and it does get a little cooler as you get further from the heater. So, do I need to find and purchase another cold inlet nipple with the trap in it? Or can i rig up the flex hose and some copper somehow? Im just not comfortable knowing some of my hot water is expanding up into my cold line.

PS. No i didnt not read the directions first, and yes my wife has explained the importance it. ( several times)

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: It’s genetic. Guys don’t read instructions or ask for directions… So, what you’re experiencing now is partly thermal expansion and partly convection back up the line/s. Cutting away the plastic on the nipples exposed steel to water and it will rust. I don’t know how fast. The nipples should be replaced at your leisure. Both hot and cold lines want insulation back to the wall. It comes as six foot long tubes, pre-slit down one side. Use 3/4″ thick insulation as long as you’re at it as energy prices aren’t falling 😉

Yours, Larry

Tapout75
    Participant

Yeah it took me a minute but i did find new nipples with the traps in them on home depots web site, so looks like i will be going there tomorrow. I was just worried i guess.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: Do have a look at the heat traps. If they have a little ball inside that rattles as you shake the pipe, put it back on the hook and get plain lined steel nipples or the type with a little rubber flap inside. The ball-type can make noise or get stuck. If there are no good heat trap nipples, get longer flex lines and bend an inverted “U” in the line to create a heat trap. Do insulate everything whatever route you go.

Yours, Larry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page