Hard, iron-y softened water and sulphur smell in hot water

The Tank Hard, iron-y softened water and sulphur smell in hot water

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    dschimpf
    Participant

We’ve had a new Richmond 40 gallon water heater for a little more than a month with the standard magnesium anode. We have a well that supplies water that is hard and full of iron, and therefore needs to be softened. The old heater leaked, but the hot water did not stink (I suspect the anode had ceased working some time ago; when I drained the old tank, there was much “sand” in the bottom of the heater). About two weeks after installing the new heater, the hot water began to smell like rotten eggs (it makes we remember the Mud Volcano area at Yellowstone NP with some fondness). After shocking the well (we normally do that twice a year anyway), the stinky hot water returned after a week. Given that we have stinky, softened hot water, I suspect that we need the power anode. The question is whether we should order the standard or extended version. The hex head for the anode is accessible but recessed about 2.5-3 inches into the insulation of the water heater. Thanks for the great site. I am confident, given the excellent information you provide, that this product will solve our problem.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Get SKU27, the extended version. That is exactly what it’s for, unless you want to enlarge that opening with snips. Most people with new heaters are reluctant to do that.

Randy Schuyler

dschimpf
    Participant

Got the part as promised on Tuesday. Had trouble getting the anode tube out. Today, I figured out the impact wrench (duh), loosened up the anode tube, and had to bend it as I removed it (ceiling clearance). I drained off some water, put in two quarts of hydrogen peroxide, installed the power anode, and everything is working great! The water doesn’t stink! It’s hot! Success! Thanks so much for your excellent products and support!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page