Happy holidays to all! I'm new here. My heater burner does stay on.

The Tank Happy holidays to all! I'm new here. My heater burner does stay on.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jxtx
    Participant

Hi all, I’m glad to find this wonderful site, and have learnt quite a lot about water heater problems. I have a State Select gas water heater (~2006 model) that does not stay on lately. I’ve tried to figure out what the problem is, and here are my observations:
    1. The pilot and burner can be turned on, but the burner shuts off and brings the pilot off. It’s quite unstable, sometimes the flame stays on for a few cycles, or even a day or two, but sometimes only a few minutes.
    2. If I don’t turn on the burner, the pilot can stay on forever. Does that mean the thermocouple is fine?
    3. The air intake screen is clean. And I tried to brush and vacuum around the burner to get rid of those black dirt. I even tried leaving the inner (viewport) door open but that still doesn’t fix it, so I guess it’s not a problem of air intake?
    So I wonder what could be the cause for the problem. Is there anything else I can do to further investigate? Or should I just call in a professional? I bought the house about 2 years ago so I don’t know if I have warranty for the heater. Should I call the manufacturer or the gas company for repair, or just a plumber?
    Thank you for your attention and any suggestion will be appreciated.

Ej
    Participant

It sounds by your description that when the burner comes on it is either blowing out the pilot or pushing the pilot away from the thermocouple. You should be able to verify this by watching the pilot through the glass window. Unless there is a direct flame against the thermocouple to the point where it is reddish in color then your burner will shut off.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page