GE Gas water heater PG series

The Tank GE Gas water heater PG series

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    psotoole
    Participant

I don’t know what kind of anode rod I have. I don’t have a bump on the hex head but I hear GE water heaters may use magnesium? I have a GE model PG40S09AVJ00 40 gallon.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Most likely it’s magnesium. Things can change, but as far as we know, Rheem/GE still uses magnesium only.

Randy Schuyler

psotoole
    Participant

I need more than “most likely”. I need yes and no’s. Isn’t there anyware on the water heater to tell me this? The hex on top has no dimple.

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello: “Most likely” is in this case 99%. Beyond that, you’ll need to pull out the anode rod and have a look.

Yours, Larry

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

Sorry, Larry, but “pull out the anode rod and have a look” only works if you know one from the other, which most people don’t.

Psotoole, if it really bothers you that much, you’d better contact GE and ask. We’ve done the best we can for you based on what we know, but the only people who know for certain (provided you get a tech who really does know), are the people who made the heater.

Randy Schuyler

psotoole
    Participant

Sweet Jesus this isn’t rocket science!! No wonder people don’t deal with this rod replacement. Somewhere on this damn heater can should be clearly defined rod type. It’s not even in the owners manual!!! I’ll just let it rot out like 90% of the public does and buy a new heater every 10 years. If anyone is serious about people changing these rods or selling them I suggest having clear answers about the rods either on the heater or the web.

Randy Schuyler
    Keymaster

We do the best we can here, psotoole. We are not the manufacturers, so we would not immediately know if they suddenly decided to change to a different anode, but we do know what we’ve run across in the field, and that mostly seems to remain constant.

The manufacturers aren’t terribly interested in you changing anodes, as that will eventually lower sales for them. At the same time, though, until we came along, nobody really cared about doing that anyway. For that matter, until we came along, nobody thought much about what kind of metal the anode was made of if they even knew there WAS an anode.

All the makers have online sites, often with spec sheets for all their models, and often those contain information about anode type and insulation thickness and such. Usually the manuals do mention anode rods and nearly always warn that removing them voids the warranty. So there is information, if you know where to look.

Again, unless something has changed drastically recently, your GE has a magnesium anode even though the head doesn’t have a bump. They crimp on the hex head, presumably so they don’t destroy their resistor by welding the hex head on like everybody else does. That’s where the bump comes from, the weld.

Randy Schuyler

psotoole
    Participant

thanks for the info, guess I got “overheated”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page