GE 6 gal tank doesn't make enough hot water

The Tank GE 6 gal tank doesn't make enough hot water

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    rlh6805
    Participant

I have a ~ 7 year old GE electric 6 gal hot water tank that has started to run out of hot water very quickly. After it’s has sufficient time to heat up there is maybe 1 gal of hot water made until it turns cold. The hot water that does come out is the correct temp which is confusing. How can it only heat up a small amount of water and leave the rest cold? I have been told that it may be the heating element, which I’m going to ohm out as soon as I get a chance. It is either that or the thermostat? Is there anything else I should check?

Thanks!!

Rob

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hi, it sounds like the dip tube is failing. This is the plastic pipe that delivers cold water to the bottom of the heater. If it cracks or breaks off, cold water mixes with the hot water and you get a lot of Luke warm water.
    Yours, Larry

rlh6805
    Participant

Hi,

I don’t think this model (GE06P06SAG) has a dip tube. It is a small (6 gal) electric heater. The cold water inlet is on the bottom of the tank and the hot outlet is on the top. Looking at a parts diagram it doesn’t show a dip tube.

Here is a link to the online manual. Page 16 has a diagram of the heater.

https://www.manualowl.com/m/General%20Electric/GE06P06SAG/Manual/175326

Thanks!!

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, I sit corrected! No dip tube. 😀 This leaves little to check. I would confirm you’re getting 120 volts to it and using your ohm meter, check for any leaks to ground through the element. It does not sound like a bad thermostat, but a visual inspection of it to be sure there is no evidence of it getting wet or any electrical burn odor, (like burned Bakelite) would be nice too. I’m curious to know what you discover!

Yours, Larry

rlh6805
    Participant

For sure it’s getting proper power (120v). I do have a nice fluke meter, do know what resistance value I should see putting the meter across the heating element terminals?

Larry Weingarten
    Participant

Hello, Instead of measuring across the terminals, measure from each terminal to the hex shaped steel base of the element. Put your meter in the most sensitive ohms setting and see if you get anything. You should get 100% resistance. If you find any conductivity, the element is leaking to ground and needs to be replaced. 😉

Yours, Larry

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Water Heater Rescue

You cannot copy content of this page